Friday, June 19, 2009

The Decision

It's my first posting! We are running a bit behind in keeping this baby up-to-date- sorry! Danna wrote that last lovely opener as I sat by her side lazily, and it has taken me this long to add to it.

Well, I never thought I would run a marathon. I think somewhere in the back of my mind it was alway
s on my bucket list, but so is having a billion dollars, you know? I even told my sister recently that I would never run a marathon and had no desire because of my bad knees and the general strain it puts on other areas of your body too. And of course the long, grueling, early morning training, and the horror stories you hear ("It was the hardest and most painful experience of my life. Never again!!").

Danna approached me about it one day and told me all about her amazing previous marathon experience
- a must-hear story- and I got so excited and jealous I just had to commit! Well, after I got over all my initial fears and doubts, that is. She has made it all possible for me- she is simply amazing! And a fabulous running partner for Saturdays, I might add.

I also have to give props to my other true inspiration- Mikelle (my little sis). Mikelle recently went on a cruise with her friend to the Caribbean. She told me before she went that she would like to lose as much weight as possible before the cruise so she was maximally swimsuit-ready. She asked me to be her personal trainer the 2 weeks prior to the cruise, and she followed my VERY STRICT instructions to a T! I had her go for a 2-3 mile run each day, and a non-running workout as well in the same day. Then she was to eat no fat, sugar or processed food, no cheese, peanut butter, or condiments (except mustard), and no non-fish meat! She did not stray from the plan ONCE! And she kept asking for more. That's just the way Mikelle is. If she puts her mind to something, she does it perfectly. She was losing all these inches (and she's trim already, don't get me wrong), and I was feeling so proud of her! Plus it's super fun to have someone follow your every suggestion, of course. :)

I was so inspired by the things Mikelle was able to put her mind to, and she was getting me all psyched up about fitness and goals and stuff. She was totally in my mind when I made the decision. Thanks Mkl!

What most appeals to me about the prospect of completing a Marathon are the sense of accomplishment I know I will feel, and the disciplined journey along the way. I look forward to the tight abs too! :)

4 comments:

kdance said...

I watched The Bucket List last week. Good show.

AND, why did you and Mikelle get all the good stick-to-it-tiveness genes? I could never follow all your instructions like Mikle, nor ever train for a marathon. Props to you both.

Anonymous said...

go me :)
-mkl

MHM said...

Rock on, Mkl!! I bet other families all wish they could be Memmotts. You guys are awesome!

Vicky said...

You are my hero. Anyone that would put themselves through this kind of punnishment is way better person than me. You are the best. I will always cheer for you in anything you do. I Love You. You are alreadey a winner in my book. But what do I know I get up too early.